After a season in the bleachers at Rice Eccles and a lifetime cheering the cougs in Provo, I now consider myself somewhat of an expert on football in our region. I have compiled this list of all the things that make the Runnin' Utes and the mighty Cougars just a little bit different from one another.
- At BYU games, you see clean and happy Mormon boys and girls wearing "Fully Invested" T-shirts and sipping these:
- At Utah games, you see not-so-much-active Mormon boys and girls wearing "Fully Intoxicated" T-shirts [I'm not kidding here, thats what the shirts said... I couldn't get a good picture of the drunkards... they were swaying too much] and sipping these that they smuggled in somehow:
- At BYU games the air is filled with the cougar fight song, lots of rah-rah-rahs, and yells directed at the refs using words like "Heck!" and "Freak!"
- At the U games the air is filled with words Maggie is not allowed to learn and the drunken slurs of students trying to sing "Utah Man" when in reality only about 5 people in the stadium know more than just the chorus.
- In Rice Eccles everyone is wearing red, black, and white. Everyone. And their dog. And if it gets cold, everyone pulls out their Ute blankets and their Ute coats, and their Ute beanies. Wearing a color other than red will earn you stares and invitations to leave. And don't even think about wearing blue. Seriously.
- At LaVell Edward's Stadium everyone is wearing what they are wearing. Freshmen are wearing their cool new BYU garb but everyone else is pretty much just wearing what they were wearing when they decided to go to the game: green, gray, orange, or even (heaven forbid) red. Bronco's making effort to change that. We'll see.
- Both BYU and Utah have pretty good looking coaches. But Bronco is way hotter. Sorry, Kyle.
- But back when Urban was around...he definitely won the contest. He's the hottest coach in the NCAA by far.
- Sorry, Cougars, we aint got nothin' compared to this:
- In Rice Eccles Stadium just as the 4th quarter is starting the entire MUSS (Mighty Utah Student Section) starts chanting "Crazy Lady." The band begins to play a tune called "Bubbles" and a woman that I have recently become obsessed with begins to dance. This is dancing that most closely resembles a Cougarette having muscle spasms. There is lots of flailing, shimmying, and running in place. Its really one of the best things I have seen in my entire life. She's famous. I got these pictures from the Tribune. She's been doing it for years, and I've infomed my husband I'll be taking over for her after she dies (or gets arthritis).
Alright, I confess! Maybe I spend more time crowd watching than following the game's every play (Maggie helps with that I assure you). I just had to concede to that before someone mentioned that my list had a serious lack of game statistics and conference hoop-la. But one thing is for sure: there are things about both BYU and Utah that I adore. The Crazy Lady makes me want to have season tickets at the U for the rest of my life but just singing the BYU fight song fills me with endorphins. And so it is, I'm a mixed up cougar with a die-hard Ute husband. But I still bleed blue.
Good luck on Saturday Cougars! Let's win it again.
*Dan didn't want me to put this on here, but if you want to see something awesome click here