Friday, December 19, 2008

I Actually CAN Make a Good Cookie, Or, Why I Fell off the Healthy Eating Wagon Yesterday



I know this is going to sound really pathetic, but here goes: I can't bake. The only things I can bake are cakes (thanks to Duncan Heinz) and pumpkin cookies (again, thanks to Duncan Heinz).  Oh yeah and I guess I can make artisan bread, too but it's always a toss up as to whether I'll burn it or take it out before its burned and have the inside be doughy. 

But the part that I don't get is: Why do I keep trying?

Why do I do that? If I always make cookies that come out as hard, crunchy, flat frisbies then why do I keep trying to make cookies? And don't get me started on Martha Stewart. I think she posts baking recipes just to taunt me. I've tried I don't know how many of her creations and not one has turned out. NOT ONE. Martha, we're over! But what's that you say? She posted a carrot cake recipe? Really? I'll have to try that one...

Anyway, last week my poor husband took pity on me and my cookies. It probably helps that he is the son of the world's best baker (or is it bakeress?).  Dan tasted one of my flat crunchy cookies while he listened to me whine about how I'd followed the recipe exactly and bla bla bla and then said "Well, let's experiment with it and figure it out."

Under Dan's guiding hand I lowered the temperature, lessened the cooking time, and added more flour.

And it worked. Yesterday I tried it again by myself and I actually made cookies fit for human consumption. Then I ate them. Over a dozen of them. 

Now can someone tell me why my baby weight won't budge?

14 comments:

Megan Di said...

You're right. Martha's recipes never do turn out just right. I swear over bakers like www.joythebaker.com or www.stephanieskitchen.com. They know what they're doing!

The Willeyes said...

Megan-This is why we love you:) You're awesome!

Marilyn said...

Good work, Team Hinckley! I'd like to have a taste of your final product! (And Martha's recipes don't always work for me either. Too complicated, maybe?)

Amy said...

It's a dangerous thing to be able to bake a good cookie! But I am glad these turned out for you. I think my best cookie secret I learned is to not use a mixer once you start with the dry ingredients. Just stir with a wooden spoon till moistened. Now I want to go bake some cookies!

The Betitas said...

I cannot bake either! I think its because of the whole "does it look done" concept. Things inevitable burn on the bottom or are doughy inside, like you said. I much prefer cooking up a good meal than baking anything. I am pretty good at toasting though:) In my toaster oven. Anything less that takes less than five minutes is my forte!

megwild said...

I've only met you a couple of times while Dan, Yoli and I planned our HS 5 year reunion. I ran across a link to your blog on a mutual friend's, and I decided to check out the Hinkley's and see what was up. Congrats on 3 good lookin' kids. It's fun to see your family three + years later. I love reading your blog, it always makes me laugh. I feel your pain about baking - I can't even get store bought frozen rolls to rise. I will hopefully meet you again in two years for the WX 10 year reunion.
Megan Wilding

Jessica said...

LOL megs, don't worry! One day is not falling off the wagon. You definitely need to allow yourself some treats or you'll just feel deprived and go overboard. Besides, you're breast feeding, and the babies need some cookies too...

Jennifer said...

I think we're just meant to keep the baby weight so that when our kids are teenagers, there's not a chance of one of their friends saying, "Dude! Your mom is HOT!" LOL Actually, I'm with Jessica who said that one day isn't falling off the wagon. Everybody DOES need cookies!!

Beth said...

because you're really meant to be a plus-sized model, and you have to be bigger than a size six to be so. I mean, when you see yourself as a model, don't you want to be one with all the glamour AND all the yummy, gourmet foodie foods? I do.

Rachel said...

Okay, that just ticks me off. I feel your pain honey oh boy howdy do I ever! WE are the HOMEMAKERS! WE are the ones who are supposed to be THE BETTY CROCKER'S and the same dang thing happened to me. My husband "helped" me after many failed attempts and what do you know? Same story.......dumb engineer's....they think they are so smart and know everything.........

Tigersue said...

One quick tip here. DO NOT use Margarine in your recipes. Margarine changed several years ago and the fat content is much different than it used to be. I always use butter, it does make a crisper cookie, but the taste is much better and worth it. If you want a softer cookie and want to use margarine check the labels to be sure the fat content is the same a butter. Trust me, I could not figure out why my cookies did not taste or workout the same until I saw this tip in a Taste of Home magazine. Also ask for recipes around the area. (I have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe) Altitude does make a difference, and some recipes do not work so well here as they might in another part of the country, hence the problem with Martha Stewart's recipes here.

Ashley said...

Oh - that has me craving some cookies! Can you send some my way? I wonder if they have any around here? Hmmm....


Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad from Colombia!

K said...

Oh, fetch. I LIKE flat, crispy cookies. Dip them in orange juice. I know. I know. I'm weird.

But really, the cool thing is that Dan said, "Let's play with it." Do I ever play with anything? No, it's gotta work the first time because I'm busy and I just gotta get it done. I want to PLAY. I really do.

And eat your crispy flat cookies.

K said...

By the way, I have to tell you - I was remarking that you have really rich, intelligent comments on this blog (I get some too, but you have tons). And G said, "Megan's a real people person. She's got a great network of like-minded people. Fun people. She attracts them." And Char kept saying, "Yeah. Yeah." So there you are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Top Sites

Parenting Blogs