Last night I got together with my best friend McKenna at my new favorite restaurant Buca di Beppo.
As I was driving to get to the restaurant, Kenna called and said that she had just locked her keys in her car for the 4th time in two months so she was going to be a little late. I drove around downtown admiring the architecture and strange people and then I found a parking spot and headed into the restaurant to get our names on the waiting list. There was no list. I guess that 8 on a Wednesday night isn't a high traffic dining time. Go figure. Anyway, they didn't want to let me wait for her in the lobby so they took me to a table and handed me the beverage list. The only decaf, non-alcoholic bevy on the list was Italian Creme Soda so I had me a raspberry one. And it was good.
Kenna arrived and finally found me and of course we discovered we were dressed in coordinating outfits. We sure looked cute together! I found out that McKenna is training to run a half marathon and that now she actually enjoys running. We had a good laugh about that one, considering that she didn't want to sweat during ninth grade p.e. which contributed to her 15 minute mile on the end of term tests. Also, Kenna told me she's going to travel back to her mission in Portugal on Friday.
"Oh you didn't know I was going?" she asked.
"No. You have to tell people things in order for them to know," I said.
"I guess you're right," she said.
I am amazed at my dear best friend and how absolutely wonderful she is. We laughed so hard that we were crying at several points throughout the meal. Highlights include:
- when we got the bus boys to do back flips for us. They really did. One of them bashed his knee in pretty good but it didn't slow him down, he just climbed up on a bar and did another one.
- when mckenna asked the waiter where the bathroom was and she got lost and he found her 3 minutes later still wandering around.
- when kenna admitted that the pan friend mozzarella appetizer was going to really do a number on her bowels.
- when kenna said she was stuffed and I admitted that with my new twin appetite I could easily have licked the platter clean.
- when we found a dining room in the restaurant with a bust of the pope on the table as a centerpiece and portraits of popes all over the walls. All of the decor was so kitschy it was awesome. The evening was hilarious and delicious and McKenna dear... lets not wait 4 months before we get together again. I need more of that kind of therapy.