"Push the 2," I told her, then I went to the basement to switch the laundry loads.
When I emerged from the laundry room a few minutes later, I saw smoke coming from the kitchen. I suppose Maggie had figured that cooking the popcorn once was fine, but cooking it 2 or 3 times must be better. The bag of popcorn had caught on fire in the microwave. I could see flames inside and there was smoke pouring out of the cracks around the door. Awesome. I pulled out the fire extinguisher, opened the microwave, and doused the fire. Only problem was, the smoke and fire extinguisher dust went every. dang. where.
I had just finished cleaning the kitchen (something I don't do often because a. it's pointless, since I know the kids will destroy my work before I even know they are in there and b. I hate doing it).
So, I put Maggie into timeout ("We only push the buttons on the microwave when we are helping Mommy, we never do it by ourselves. Never ever ever."), barricaded the twins in the family room, and began scrubbing, sweeping, and vacuuming all over again.
Anybody know how to get rid of charred popcorn stench?